Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Football (Soccer)

Yesterday evening I had a very enjoyable and lucky experience.

I went for a run, then after went for a short bike ride. During the bike ride I heard some drums. I decided that after my workout was done I would get dressed and walk towards the mystery drum sound, hoping for a high school marching band. As I got closer I heard an announcer through speakers and started hoping for a high school football game.

The guy in front of me was obviously heading for the same area so I asked him who was playing and he said the local football team which was ranked #11 in the league and they were playing the #10 team in the league. So it was the semi-professional Lyngby soccer team! I asked how much a ticket would be and he said 150 dkk (~$30). So, I was a little disappointed. But then he asked if I needed a ticket because he happened to have an extra! I offered him some money but he didn't take it, because he got his tickets for free somehow.

The stadium wasn't very big but the seats were covered, so it was a very nice and shaded. There was one section that was very loud and everyone was always standing. As per my agreement upon receiving the free ticket, I cheered on the home team!

There were some differences that I noticed. When the crowed was let down it sounded much more like an EEEHHH then an AAAHHH. The announcements were of course in danish, so I didn't catch at all what they were saying. That was ok with me because I am very familiar with the sport. They also played a lot of house and techno, which I have never heard at a public sporting event.

Although, since I only went to "check it out," I was just wearing a t-shirt. Everyone else was wearing a sweatshirt and a coat, which made sense to me as soon as it started getting dark.

What I learned is, if you are ever in Europe and hear drums.. walk towards it!

No comments:

Post a Comment