Thursday, March 10, 2011

Wrong Bus


The picture is of a "solar tree" that can be found on the DTU campus. It does not really resemble an actual tree in any sense, and the solar panels on the leafs can't offer very much area to capture sunlight. So I don't really see the point of it, but it was worth a picture.

I thought everyone may want to here the story of the wrong bus. All I wanted to do was buy stamps. If I walked to the stamps it would have taken about 40 minutes round trip. If I took the bus I knew it would only take about 10 minutes, even though it would cost about $3.00. But I didn't feel like walking, so I opted to spend that $3.00. Before I took the bus into town, I looked at the bus stop I wanted to come back to and wrote down what three buses I could take to get back to my residence. 300s was one of the buses I could take.

I successfully got into town and bought my stamps, then it was time to take a bus home. 300s was the first bus I saw so I got onto it. It then preceded to go the opposite direction I wanted for about 40 minutes. Then at the end of the line I was the only one left on the bus. The bus driver didn't speak English but indicated that I needed to get off he bus, somewhere about 40 minutes away from the station that is a 20 minute walk from where I live. I should look up where I was because I still don't know, but it started with an I.

I need to give you a quick explanation of the bus pass system. There is a system of "zones." If you go through 2 zones you need to punch a 2 zone pass. That allows you to travel with any public transport (bus, train, metro) freely within those two zones for one hour. By the time I was at the end of the line with that bus I was outside my time frame AND zones, thank goodness I didn't get caught.

I waited for another bus that could hopefully take me back, and I saw another 300s. I figured it was going back to my hometown station so I got on it. It was the exact same bus with the same no English speaking driver that I was just asked to leave 5 minutes before. When I got on I had to punch my 2 zone pass twice, bring my total for the trip close to $10.00. The bus did in fact come back to the station I got on it at, but now it was facing the other direction. So, maybe after it gets back from that loop it goes on a loop that passes my home. It didn't stay on it to find out. I got off the bus at a place where I recognized and simply walked home.

So my $3.00 ten minute trip became a $10.00 2.5 hour trip, not including my 20 minute walk home.

Other than that mistake I have been doing well with the public transport here. Of course, nothing beats driving your own car! Especially when driver a car in the United States is cheaper than public transportation in Denmark!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Steven,

    I hope you got to see some new parts of town on your bus trip. Other than the expense and the time it took you, sometimes it is fun just to get on and ride. Who would have guessed that there were peppers from India that would be too hot for you. You have to ask your friend if he will let your Dad have a tiny bite of one.

    Are there some small lights or something that light up on the solar tree at night?


    The box that I sent you will have a wonderful treat for you to take to your next container dinner (haha). I don't know when Kelly is visiting but if she isn't on her way, you should ask her to bring you a small non stick skillet.

    Sounds like you are having lots of fun. love aunt pat

    ReplyDelete