Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Danish Fun Facts







These are more pictures of Sweden. It is quite cold, that's why the fountain is frozen.

I have learned a few things about Denmark that I did not expect even after all the reading. I was asking a couple danish friends what the country side was like because i wanted to see it and they said, "oh, the rotten banana?" I, of course, had to ask what they meant by this. The rotten banana refers to the lower class country side of Denmark. If you imagine the east coast and south of Denmark in a banana shape, that is the rotten banana. I guess there are very very few college educated people in this area. Guys that grow up and live in the rotten banana are called "Brians" (sorry friends that are named Brian), and the girls that group up and live there are called "Connies" (sorry mother). That really only stuck with me because they are familiar names to me.

What i learned today is more important to me personally and i now understand how lucky i am. I was standing with my homework group when someone asked what the clip was for in my pocket. It was just my knife.. But apparently, that's not ok. For the two danish people in my group, i am the first person they know that owns a gun as well as the first person they know that carries a knife. I have had a knife with me for the last 6 weeks and i guess i could have been arrested for that. I even heard a construction worker was carrying a carpenters knife home and got arrested. I have taken my knife to public places, bars, and school. All of which is very bad. My friends are surprised i was never caught for having a knife in a bar.

But now i know what i can't carry in my pocket. I also know where not to live if i move to Denmark. I hope you find these facts as interesting as i do! Have a good Wednesday everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Steven,

    It is a good thing you found out about the knife before it turned into a 5 page report with a policeman attached.

    The rotton banana section without much college eduction - does that mean gangs and criminals or it is just the working class and farmers?

    What is the pictures of the little cars? The fountain looks like it has 2 hands coming out of the ice (or 2 fish I can't decide).

    love aunt pat

    ReplyDelete