Wednesday, January 26, 2011

First Day of Orientation




We were given a bag of materials and told to build the tallest tower we could, to hold as many beers (what else) as possible. Our score would be the amount of beer multiplied by the height of the tower. Now is a good time to point out that as the only civil engineer of the team of 15 i thought it best to just lay low on this one.

The first picture is our ambitious start using blown up balloons as the foundation. Although theoretically an ingenious way to make the tower tall, this turned out to hurt us.. haha. Picture 2 and 3 were of other groups that had a better run at things. 3 of our 7 balloon solid foundation popped. The other problems we had were three different groups working on three different sections. This turned out to hurt, as well, when the connections didn't work out very well. So, we were one of the 2 teams of the 15 that couldn't hold a single beer. The wining team won a tower of beer, so we were sad! Although our team had lost the tower competition we were the only group that had pooled together our money to buy beer in greater quantities to save money for everyone during said competition, true teamwork.

I learned that out of the 15 people I was the only one that owned even a single gun. This was baffling to me, as well as them. Also, very few people own cars, but I did expect that. I also met a guy from France who has a dream of one day attending an American football game with pom pom girls!

I am REALLY enjoying my team. Everyone is friendly and includes the entire group in all activities. Off the top of my head the countries included in my group are Lithuania, Portugal, France, Germany, Sweden, Chile, Italy, Korea, and someone from the state of New York. Today we are headed to Copenhagen and tomorrow we are going to the Carlsberg brewery.

2 comments:

  1. You were the only civil engineer but aren't the others engineering students? Jet lag, bad balloons and beer were probably your downfall.

    Does everyone think you are the american mob since you have guns? did you tell them they are for shooting targets, animals and birds - not for shooting people for profit. Of course they may think shooting animals and birds is as bad as shooting people for profit (haha)

    Do you stay with the same group throughout orientation? I'm can't wait to hear about what you see in Copenhagen and to see the pictures.
    I hope you have some of the people take pictures of you so you can post some for us to see.

    Are most of the buildings on campus two stories? Sounds like you are having fun so far but soon classes will start.

    I don't remember if this happened in Denmark but in the rest of Europe, if you wanted ice in your drink you had to ask for it. Of course, I was drinking coke or water, not beer so it may not be a problem for you. Do they have cold beer or is it room temperature?

    love aunt pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steven I am very impressed by your pictures. Thanks for taking them for all of us. Every day sounds like an adventure. You are representing America well, except for the gun thing...haha. Love, mom

    ReplyDelete