Saturday, January 22, 2011

First Day in Denmark

I made it to my room yesterday (Friday). Upon arrival I found the accommodations offices and got my key to get into my room. After i was done unpacking i went back into the heart of Lyngby to the shopping area and bought an internet cable and lunch. I couldn't find anywhere to get groceries so i will ask some neighbors where they get there groceries. Lunch was phenomenal and i had a very common lunch that i had read about in my traveling book. I asked them to help me pronounce the name of it (Which is an open faced sandwich) and they said roast beef. I didn't really want to know what type of meat was in it but how to say sandwich, but they were a busy corner store so i left.

I know that i am bad with names, but i learned i am terrible with international names. I can remember that i have meat four people that i live with. One from South Korea, one from France, one from India, and one from Lithuania. But for the life of me i cannot remember anyone's name! The only confusing interaction i have had so far is the guy from Lithuania would not shake my hand while i was in my room and he was in the hallway, and asked me to come into the hallway then shook my hand.

I already have a number of stories to tell just from the traveling including my 500 S&W brass + bullet key chain being mistaken for a loaded bullet in an airport followed by police and a 5 page report.

Traveling was relatively easy because there was someone eager to help me whenever i had a question. The hardest part was dealing with people in Chicago because most people that i talked to were rude and generally not nice. I met a very helpful man in Chicago from Israel. He helped me around because we were both flying to Zurich Switzerland. He also helped me find my next flight in Switzerland to Copenhagen before he went to find his own flight. Turns out he is also the Veterinarian for the Danish Ambassador in Israel.

I feel much better today than i have felt so far traveling because i get headaches on airplanes. And i didn't sleep very well Tuesday night, Wednesday night i tossed and turned for about three hours on a plane, and Thursday night i tossed and turned for about three hours on a linoleum floor in the Copenhagen airport. Yesterday i went to bed at 3:00pm and woke up at 8:00 am!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Steven,

    Well who knows what happened to the first post I tried. Good blog so far. I want to hear more about the police and report and if you still have your casing. The food looks great. I think the sandwiches are called smorgasbord (smore gus board) but that may be the whole buffet. Anyway it looked very tasty. Do you have windows in your room. Give us a picture out the windows and some of the buildings on campus. Are you going out to dinner with your roomies? love aunt pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steven. So glad things are going well for you. I bet you are still getting used to the time change. That just takes time. Have a good week. Lov the pics. Keep them coming. Love, mom

    ReplyDelete