Tuesday, February 1, 2011

First Two Days of School

I have gone to two classes so far. One turned out to be the universities most advanced Geotechnical class, comprised of 90% graduate students. It required a strong background in soil structure, programing, and finite element analysis. With my background in geotech consisting of a B in the intro to Geotech class at WSU, and my only finite element analysis knowledge coming from modeling a concrete canoe i though it best to not take the class. I did plan on dropping one class so i am perfectly alright now (although i kinda wanted to drop the class on Fridays.. dang it). I am also taking one more class than the minimum amount after dropping the class so there is a still wiggle room to work with. The two lecturers i have had so far were very fun to listen to and easy to understand! I was a little nervous about accents, but it has not been an issue.

I had a little trouble getting back from Copenhagen last night. Late at night there is only one bus every hour. I missed it by a few minutes so i had to wait for 38 minutes for the next bus. The bus ride is 25 minutes and i was riding it with a friend that has already been going to the university for a semester. Trusting him to know which stop to get off at under his level of intoxication was a decision soon regretted. Although he "wasn't that far off" we ended up walking against traffic on a 3 lane highway. Don't worry mother, it had a large shoulder. Another positive is everyone here owns small cars, so it was like walking next to a remote control race car track. If a car got out of control and barreled into the shoulder, chances are it would have been a smart car and could have stepped over it.

I got my first letter yesterday (thank you Larry and Oma!) and my first package today (thank you mom and dad!).

Tonight i have an international dinner to go to where i am supposed to bring a dish from my country. So wish me luck as well as everyone that is going to consume the dish i am going to make! I miss everyone and best wishes to all of you!

2 comments:

  1. You didn't say what dish you were taking to the pot luck???? I want to hear about all the other dishes too. I can see you will be coming home with a lot of new cooking ideas. I may ask you to cook for the first month you are home. Love, mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steven,

    I don't know why I alway have to type these comments twice. I always seem to make some sort of mistake the first time. I just haven't figured out what the mistake is yet.

    So what did you take to the dinner? What did your roommates take. Did you have to schedule stove time to get everything done? Hope you took some pictures of all the food there and of everything you ate. What was your favorite thing?

    Will the bus drivers announce your stop for you if you ask? Are the stops marked or named or are there just stops every few blocks. Everyone wonders just how safe the drivers are and if they are paying attention since so much beer seems to be consumed.

    If you are interested in the class you dropped can you sit in on it as an audit? That way you can listen to the lectures without taking tests or having to study.

    Did you want to drop the class on Friday because of the class or because it was on Friday?

    We get our new stove tomorrow. It won't help me cook any better but it will be prettier.

    love aunt pat

    ReplyDelete